Monday, September 8, 2008

The five second rule...


How many times have you dropped food on the floor and said, "5 second rule"? Don't lie! I have done it too...just not anymore. Look at what I found:

According to Yahoo Shine, they debunked some common health myths and this was among those:

Myth: Dropping something on the floor is OK to eat as long as you follow the 5-second rule.

FALSE: In a recent study, scientists contaminated a bunch of surfaces with Salmonella...then dropped bologna on the floor. In just FIVE seconds, the bologna picked up 1,800 types of bacteria...EWWW!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

the 5 second rule only applies to DRY items like a "m&m" or a chip or something. You don't drop wet items like bologna and thing you can still eat it. That's just nasty! That kind of stuff will make your hair fall out...Just look at my husband!

RadioTodd said...

Ewww! That's so gross. Although, I think my two boys have made me immune to most bologna borne bugs :)

Hillary said...

I agree wet items tend to pick up crumbs and hair...yuck...but on the safe side I am going to just count my losses even on an M&M