Sunday, January 11, 2009

The night Will Ferrell disappointed me....

As the credits rolled, I looked over to Drew and said, "We just wasted moments of our life....moments we will never get back."
OK so I feel as though it is my civic duty to post this "movie review" per se just so no one else has to utter those same words. It all started when my husband and I went to Blockbuster Friday for a low key movie night and, believe it or not, both agreed on one movie- "Stepbrothers."

Reaching this agreement wasn't hard because we are both huge fans of Will Ferrell. His comedic performances on SNL, Anchorman, Old School, ELF, have never let us down and although tend to be dumb and childish always ALWAYS leave us with tears in our eyes....that is until this fateful Friday night.
We anxiously pop the DVD in with giddy smiles on out faces just awaiting the first stupid joke. However, as 15, 20, 25, 30 minutes rolls into the film our smiles begin to fade, no laugh, no chuckle.....nothing.
Did they dupe us by putting only the funny parts in the previews? But this is Will Ferrell!!! Surely there's a punchline in here somewhere so we continue to watch in anticipation...now worrying that we may have made a bad choice.
Maybe the concept is too much to grasp...two grown men in their 40s still living with their single parents until they are melded together into one dysfunctional family. Maybe my sister was right when she said, "You can only tap the stupid well so many times."
Either way, when this movie ended I was shocked, disappointed, confused. I looked to Drew and said, "Is it because we are getting old that we don't get this...am I not cool enough to get it anymore?"
I wish I had a Dolorian I could jump back into and stop myself from renting this movie, or better yet stop Will from making it. That night I lost faith in Will's comedic performance, and faith in many of my friends who raved about the hilarity of this flick.
So to wrap it up don't see this movie...it hurts me to say it...but it was bad...I mean BAD.
Oh Will come back to us...revive yourself!!!!

No comments: