Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Clearing the air

OK, so I have received an e-mail in response to a story Derek and I did yesterday about a dog named Jiffy and his unfortunate, cold night outside. (Jiffy below)

Let's recap the story:

There is an upside to being grossly overweight. If you ever find yourself frozen
to a sidewalk overnight, your blubber just might keep you alive. At least that's
the case with a 120-pound morbidly obese border collie mix named Jiffy. In
Sheboygan, Wisconsin, Humane Society workers found the poor pup frozen to the
sidewalk where he was left overnight. Shelter manager Carey Payne says few dogs
could have survived the single-digit temperatures, and it was probably Jiffy's
fat that made the difference. Incidentally, Jiffy's 59-year-old owner was
arrested for animal neglect although she claims she tried to get the dog inside
but couldn't, and instead checked on him every few hours. Shelter workers poured
warm water over Jiffy's back end to unstick him from the sidewalk. (The
Sheboygan Press)
OK so now that we are caught up on Jiffy's situation let me clear the air. Derek and I have offended someone by comments made on Jiffy's behalf. I did call him a "pupsicle" and Derek did say "hot dog", and we are truly sorry for offending anyone, but if you know me you know that I am a HUGE animal lover (Derek too) and never would I have made these comments had Jiffy not been OK. Derek and I own a bundle of animals of all sorts, cats dogs, birds....you name it and never would we want any harm to come to our furry friends or any one's for that matter.

I think what Jiffy's owner did was extremely cruel and yes I agree with you anonymous emailer she should be chained outside with her butt frozen to the sidewalk too!!! However we were trying to make light of a situation and never meant to offend, therefore, here is my public apology....I'm sorry...can you find it in your animal loving heart to forgive???


OK, air cleared.

No comments: